Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Day 11: Beads!!

To be quite honest, I don't remember much of what happened in class today. All I remember thinking is, "We're making DNA friendship bracelets in class!"

Well, I was right about half of it. There were beads. There were pipe cleaners. But there were no friendship bracelets. 

Instead, there were DNA beads! (I know, not as exciting.)

I was once again joined by my fabulous lab parter Michelle as we built DNA strands of humans, chimpanzees, gorilla, and a mysterious common ancestor. As seen in the picture below, the strands are human, chimpanzee, gorilla, and common ancestor.  
We found that the gorilla was more closely related to the common ancestor than it did to the chimpanzee or the human, while the chimpanzee and the human were more closely related to each other than they were to the gorilla or the common ancestor. 

Michelle and I came to the conclusion that the order of evolution was such: common ancestor, gorilla, chimpanzee, human. 

Thus, by using hemoglobin structures (which is what DNA is), you can figure out the ancestry of species. 

Except we didn't use hemoglobin. We used beads....but it still worked!

Tomorrow I'll be posting a quiz because I was told to do that. And no you're not doing the quiz, I am. So don't freak out that you didn't study. That's my job.

So until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment