Monday, October 21, 2013

Day 18: Why am I so Stupid!?!?! (Test Review Day...and other things)

Hey all!

So today, we got our test back and I got a 93%! Yay!

And I looked back to see what I got wrong and *face palm*

I was so stupid! I read a question wrong, completely blanked on another question, and guessed on another! Gahh!!

So, to prove to you, and my teacher, that I am not entirely an idiot, here's all the stupidity that went into my failure of Standard SP 2/5 and what I learned from it.


On the Unit 2 test, I got 1 out of 4 questions (numbers 25-28) for this standard right (which is why I got a 3).

Number 25 on the test  talked about similar animals that look the same and live in similar habitats but aren't very closely related. This is called convergent evolution. I'd put adaptive radiation because of the "adaptive" part, but "radiation" made no sense now that I look back at it. I now know what convergent evolution is!

Number 26: Yay! I got it right!

Number 27: I actually knew the answer to this one but I read the question wrong! Instead of reading "which of the following [adaptations] would least likely be observed, I thought it said "most likely". This question talked about how algae-eating fish had a predator that relied on vision to hunt. In order for the algae to survive, they needed to adapt so that it was harder to see them. And that's where I messed up my answer. Come on! "least likely" definitely does not mean "most likely". The correct answer to that is that the female algae eaters may become larger, bearing broods composed of more, and larger, young. Because that is definitely not going to happen.

Number 28 asked what would happen to a population if it was separated by a river and split into two populations that cannot interbreed. Now, I'm pretty sure we did not learn the exact name for this, but it was definitely in one of our labs so, I guess it's my fault for not figuring it out. I went for the most outrageous answer "Lamarckian evolution" and I'm pretty sure that's not an actual thing. The correct answer was "speciation".

Yup...I'm smart.

After that, we started watching a documentary on a man's journey to find the roots to early man and why they might have left Africa. It's made with hilarious '90s effects that probably looked cool at the time. So far it's pretty interesting. We haven't finished it yet, so I'll have more stuff on it in the next post.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment