Friday, December 6, 2013

Day 28: Pedigrees!!! And other things...

Bear with me everyone. It's 2 in the morning.

Last class, we were wrapping up our genetics unit by learning about the visual complexity that is the pedigree. And no I'm not talking about the dog food brand.

A pedigree is basically a visual representation of the Punnett Square, except I like the pedigree better!

With pedigrees, you can calculate all the fancy statistics and figure out if the gene/mutation/disease is autosomal or sex-linked, and dominant or recessive.

Here's a fine example of a pedigree

With this graph, you can determine the traits of parents and their offspring really easily.
Aaaand that's basically it. There's a test next class so we all know that I'll be freaking out and being very overdramatic about the entire thing, calm down a bit, and then start up again when I get the test back. I hope it's entertaining for you all.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment